THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INTERNATIONAL LAW AND INTERNATIONAL POLITICS: CASE OF SYRIA
The dissertation focusses on evaluating the relationship between the international law and politics with reference to Syria. Based on the concept of international law, the dissertation tries to evaluate the international politics. Theories and concepts related to International Law and Politics as per Syria is critically analysed and evaluated in order to gain a brief idea of the contemporary situation. Further, with the selection of the appropriate research methodologies, the research is conducted on thematic analysis basis that has helped in extracting information from the secondary sources. Finally, based on the challenges faced by the UN Security Council, the factors are evaluated and likewise possible strategies are mentioned
The present dissertation is aimed at examining the relationship between international law and international politics with the specific study to Syria as the chosen case study.
The primary objectives of the research will be as following:
- To evaluate the concept of international laws as is adopted by the UN Security Council
- To analyse the concepts and theories of international politics that are implemented by UN Security Council on Syria
- To critically examine the role of UN Security Council in maintaining peace and decorum within Syria
- To examine the challenges pertaining at UN Security Council while improving international relations and politics for Syria
Based on the research objectives, the research questions will be structured in the following manner:
- How far the concept of International Law is positively accepted in Syrian region as per the UN Security Council?
- What is the impact of international politics on Syria as implemented by the UN Security Council?
- What is the role of UN Security Council in maintaining peace and harmony within Syria?
- What are the factors that lead to challenges in successful implementation of international law and politics within the Syria as per the UN Security Council?
Chapter 1: Introduction
International law comprises of certain rules and regulations that international states, companies and nations have to abide by in order to deals with the conduct of international bodies. On the other hand, international politics deals with the relationships that UN council has to set up for maintaining a harmonious environment. This chapter will be providing with the background and significance of the research study based on the case study of Syria. In addition, the rationale behind choosing this topic of research will also be justified in this chapter.
Chapter 2: Literature Review
In this chapter, the review of existing literature will be described. The literature review will also be in line with the objectives of the research. In this chapter different concepts and theories regarding the research topic will be discussed as well.
Theories of International Politics:
Looking into the nature of international law and its relation with international politics, in particular Martti Koskenniemi, ‘The Politics of International Law’, (1990), and through other scholars.
Contextually, the International Politics theory by Martti Koskenniemi and the International Relations (IR) theory by Kenneth Waltz and will be discussed while exploring the concepts and theories of international relations and international politics. These theories aim at explaining the process through which the most powerful behave and also the code of conduct through which these states interact with other states in the international platforms.
Concept of International Laws:
While exploring the concept of international laws, the different types of international laws will be explained. In this context, international laws for example can be distinguished between private international laws and public international laws. The relationships between legal entities that reside in different countries are generally regulated under the private international laws. On the other hand, when individuals and private companies are considered to be different subjects of international laws, then these come under the public international laws.
Chapter 3: Research Methodology
Chapter 4: Data Analysis and Findings
- Look into the use of force: Illustrate the history of humanitarian intervention and the R2P as a legal concept, and link it on how it could be practiced in the Syrian case. Some successful examples can be briefly referred to such as East Timor and Kosovo. Further, discussing the use of force (Humanitarian Intervention and R2P) and the basic principles within the UN.
- A comparison needed to shortly demonstrate the Libyan case and the Syrian case. Why intervention in Libya not in Syria? And look into the process of the Libyan UNSC resolution.
Chapter 5: Impacts of International politics
- The Permanent five role and their politics in this case within the security council (right to veto).
- The international community reaction toward this case.
Chapter 6: Conclusion and Recommendations
In this chapter, firstly the findings of the data analysis will be summarised. Along with this, the finding will also be effectively linked with the objectives. In addition, various recommendations will be suggested based on the findings of the research. The recommendations will be presented with the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timed) approach that can be feasible for the UN Security Council for maintaining peace and harmony within Syria.