Assignment type : Essay
there are three journals that need to be completed .
Each Journal must have 300 words. You will not need to perform outside research to write this journal entry.
For each chapter there are 3 topics chosen ONE .
1. Western Values: According to Fiero, the varieties of Realism in nineteenth-century cultural expression reflect “a profound concern for social and economic inequities and offer a critical reassessment of traditional Western values.” Do you agree or disagree? Discuss, offering specific examples to defend your point of view.
2. Communist Manifesto: Offer an assessment of the ideas set forth in the Communist Manifesto; describe its basic assumptions and explain why, in your view, communism has collapsed in such countries as the former Soviet Union.
3. Literary Realism: Flaubert is said to have been a master of close observation, concrete detail, and objectivity. How are these qualities reflected in Reading 30.8? Are these qualities equally apparent in the writings of other authors discussed in this chapter? If so, how? Include specific examples in your response.
1. Critical Comparison: Listen to the music selection (below) “Clair de Lune” by Debussy and respond to the following: What qualities in Debussy’s music resemble Mallarmé’s poetry and Monet’s paintings?
Link: “Clair de Lune” by Debussy (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
2. Impressionist Painting: In what aspects of European life were the Impressionists interested? Is it accurate to say that these artists were more concerned with paint than with what was painted? If so, why? If not, why?
3. Technology and the Arts: Examine the role of color in the paintings of the late nineteenth century. How did the invention of synthetic paint affect art? Would you say that technology had a major impact on pictorial style? Why or why not?
1. Breaking with Tradition: Between 1900 and 1925, traditional norms were violated or abandoned in art, music, and literature. What impact did this have on the arts, and what factors might have brought about this situation? Offer specific examples to illustrate your general statements.
2. Twentieth-Century Architecture: What are the principal features of the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier? Based on a survey of the domestic and commercial architecture of your university, town, or city, how would you evaluate the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, and the international style?
3. Nonobjective Art: What is nonobjective art? Are there distinct differences in the styles of the three nonobjective artists mentioned in this chapter? Which of these artists appeals to you most and why?
Volume of 500 – 1000 words (3 pages)